Americans are on the move. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, approximately 40 million people in America move each year. Some businesses primarily or exclusively serve movers, such as self-storage units, real estate agents, apartment complexes, and of course, moving companies. However, nearly all businesses could benefit from targeting the very lucrative mover market. Consider the following statistics from Zillow’s Mover Study:
- Moving is a long process, not a weekend affair; movers spend an average of seven months making move-related purchases.
- 21% of movers spend $10,000 or more on products and services as a result of their move.
- Mover spending isn’t confined to home products or services; for example, movers are 90% more likely than non-movers to buy a new car within a year after moving.
- Moving impacts brand loyalty; movers are far more likely to switch brands than non-movers.
Because moving is usually associated with a major life change, such as marriage, the birth of a child, or a new job, movers are in the market for a variety of products and services to accommodate not just the move but also the reason for it.
Postcard Mailers Are a Great Way for Local Businesses to Reach New Movers
Postcard mailers are arguably the best way for local businesses to reach out to new movers:
- New movers’ mailboxes are still relatively empty, making it less likely that your postcard will get lost in the shuffle.
- New movers need to replace all of their shopping venues, entertainment sources, and service providers, everything from their grocery store to their favorite pizza place to their dentist. They may be unfamiliar with the area and not know anyone they can ask for a referral. They see an attractive postcard offering a service they need to replace as a convenience, something to make their life a little easier during a stressful time.
- Because moving is so expensive, movers are looking for ways to save money, so it’s the perfect time to send them coupons. Movers respond particularly well to customized mailers offering deep discounts, free trial offers, or free gifts for new customers.
How to Ensure the Success of Your Mover Postcard Mailer Campaign
When designing a postcard mailer campaign targeted at movers, keep these tips in mind:
- Make sure your mailing list is accurate and up-to-date. About one-third of movers do not update their addresses with the U.S. Postal service, so it is critical to partner with a mailing company, such as Cactus Mailers, that offers high quality, frequently updated lists from reputable data aggregators.
- Be sure that your mailing list differentiates between new homeowners and renters. Not only do renters tend to have lower incomes, but they also have different needs. For example, renters usually don’t need home maintenance, lawn care, or pest control services. However, everyone eats at restaurants, visits healthcare providers, and needs car repair services.
- Be generous with your “new neighbor” offer. The idea is to get the prospect in the door so that you can build a relationship, so make sure your offer is something they can’t refuse, such as a free pizza, a free car wash or oil change, or 50% off their first service call.
- Follow up to stay top of mind. Once a prospect has redeemed your initial offer, follow up with another one that thanks and rewards them so that you get them back in the door and build brand loyalty.
New movers are eager to build relationships with businesses in their community. If your business reaches out to these motivated buyers and makes a great impression on them, you’ll have a customer for life.